[texhax] Combining symbols [picture, axis_height]

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Feb 11 11:53:11 CET 2009

Back to where we started:

At 15:58 04.01.09, John Palmer wrote:
>I was in a picture environment, drawing a map, and wanted to put symbols
>centred on specified coordinates, so usually needed a shift leftwards and
>downwards from the default position.

Until now I had understood this as if you put symbols near marks to refer
to certain (marked) points of the diagram in the text nearby. I was about
to explain that you could "combine" labels with marks by

     \put(<x0>,<y0>){\put(<x1>,<y1>){\makebox(0,0){<label>}}<mark>}

or more sophisticated ... This came from the thread name `Combing symbols' ...

Now however it seems to me that you don't want to combine anything, just
center something on a coordinate. This really should not be done by
shifting ..., but by

or with lowercase letters perhaps, according to my previous posting,

My TLC1 (German) p. 289 seems to tell me that it is standard to center
symbols in picture environments this way (without \mathstrut).

    Uwe.