[texhax] need help... two concerns about marginal notes

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Aug 31 10:15:20 CEST 2009

I.J.L. Garces wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I need some help again about marginal notes. I am using two-sided book
> class. I have two concerns:
>
> (1) I would like my marginal notes to be right justified for the
> left-hand pages, and left justified for the right-hand pages. No
> hyphenation as well. I think the default is all left justified. What I
> do is to use the following syntax:
>
> \marginpar[\begin{flushright}...\end{flushright}]{\begin{flushleft}...\end{flushleft}}
>

> I do this every time I need to write a marginal note. Is there a
> one-time way to do to avoid this long syntax all the time?

use \raggedleft instead of flushright and \raggedright instead of flushleft

> (2) I also noticed that when the marginal note occurred on the first
> line of the page, it is not on the proper side. I have one right-hand
> page wherein the first marginal note (which happens to be on the first
> line) is on the left margin, while the other marginal notes are on the
> right margin. How can this be corrected?

Depends on your document class. The memoir class can make special tests
for this. Have a look at the internals of the dlfltxbmarkup package on
CTAN, it contani a tool from my Danish LaTeX book that does exactly what
you are looking for, though only for memoir.

> Thank you for your constant help.
>
> Ian June

/daleif