[texhax] derivatives and integrals: math operators

Natércia Fernandes natercia at eq.uc.pt
Thu Aug 6 16:58:54 CEST 2009

Hi.
Math operators should be typeset in upright letters and also have a special
spacing.
So shouldn't the "d" of derivatives (or integrals) be set with upright
letters, since both are mathematical operators?

Already in 1997, there was an article published in TUGboat (Typesetting
mathematics for science and technology according to ISO 31/XI) by Claudio
Beccari and available at
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb18-1/tb54becc.pdf where he says that the
"d" of derivatives and integrals should be upright (see item number 6).
It seems to make sense and I've been using it.

But at the same time, I haven't seen it being followed by other people...  For
example, the work of Lars Madsen Introduktion til LaTeX doesn't.

Can anyone clarify this point to me, please?

Thank you very much,
Natércia