[texhax] Please, Can You Help with Installation ?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Apr 2 08:57:30 CEST 2009

On  1 Apr, 2009, at 10:00, Dicle Ertan wrote:

> Dear TUG Support,
>
> I am trying to install and then hopefully use LATEX.

You will, believe me. And you won't regret the time spent.

I'm, like you, a TUG member. But let me tell you that you don't have
to be a TUG member to ask for support, and neither have to give your
TUG user name. Being a TUG member has many benefits, but support is
for everyone.

> I initially went through the document created by Thomas Feuerstack
> named "The Quickest Way to a TEX System". [...]
> I realized that I need a "ProText Distribution" [...]
>
> In the Members Site (https://www.tug.org/members/) I read the
> following:
>
> CTAN is updated constantly with new uploads. [...] So here is the
> snapshot of CTAN as a tar file (2.9gb).
>
> I downloaded the snapshot which took me 7hours and 45 minutes...

I don't use proTeXt (MiKTeX et al.), nor Windows ---so, please,
Windows TeXers, correct me if I'm wrong---, but I'm afraid you didn't
have to download the whole CTAN snapshot; here

http://www.tug.org/protext/

you can download just proTeXt. Maybe you already have it ---I don't
know what's in the CTAN snapshot; so check your download first. Also,
I don't know how it is now, but a few years ago I saw a proTeXt
installation and it was really simple.

Please post to this list any further question you have ---many people
will be glad to help you.

Best regards,

Axel