[texhax] about \skip\footins --eureka!

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Sep 27 05:03:29 CEST 2008

On  26 Sep, 2008, at 16:22, Donald Arseneau wrote:

> "Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif at mac.com> writes:
>
>> Literally, eureka! It's all about greek and T1 font encoding! Try
>> this:
>>
>> \usepackage[greek,english,spanish]{babel}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \setlength{\skip\footins}{1.0\baselineskip plus0.5\baselineskip
>> minus0.5\baselineskip}
>>
>> [with footins = \the\skip\footins one gets
>> ``footins = 10.0pt plus 5.0pt minus 5.0pt'' instead of
>> ``footins = 12.0pt plus 6.0pt minus 6.0pt'']
>
> It seems to be a bug in \DeclareErrorFont, which sets the current font
> size and baselineskip immediately, rather than just declaring a fall-
> back
> font.

I thought \DeclareErrorFont sets size, not leading; but anyway,
according to TLC 2nd ed., ``Its default is Computer Modern Roman
10pt'', which by default has a leading of 12pt.

And again, this happens with a combination of greek in babel and T1 as
font encoding ---either deleting greek from babel or commenting out
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, \skip\footins is, as expected, 12.0pt plus
6.0pt minus 6.0pt.

I will write to Apostolos Syropoulos about this, but I don't know if I
should report it to anyone else.

Best,

Axel