[texhax] Sorting index

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Oct 5 15:24:38 CEST 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 06:34:59 am Lars Madsen wrote:
> Henrik Frisk wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can have the Index sort names starting
> > with O umlaut (Ö) alphabetically correct? Right thes names are
> > put at the top of the index which looks quite odd.
> >
> > Thanks

For any indexable item, if you create a command like
\sidx{foo at bar}
the item will sort as foo but will show bar.  That is the command for
eplain. For LaTeX it is as I recall
\index{foo at bar}

Worst case you can edit the book.idx file after the first pass but
before the makeindex pass to insert code foo at bar as I have suggested.
Alternatively you can edit the output book.ind file and rearrange it.

So there are three different solutions. Take your pick.

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting