[texhax] printing fonts... off topic...

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu May 29 23:24:39 CEST 2008

Hi George,

Just coming in late to the conversation here.

This is a problem that turns up from time to time with pdfs that are
produced from, for example, QXP. I usually see the problem on files
printed from Windows PCs rather than Macs and the problem appearing on
Canon printers rather than, say, HP.

I think you are right that the problem is likely related to the
printer driver. Have you tried printing to the same printer with just
the generic ps driver? Normally printer drivers are able to fudge
missing fonts from your system by using the font outlines in the pdf,
but that is not always successful and so you get blanks. Lesser
drivers are less able to do this successfully.

When I have had this problem I have in the past found the easiest
solution is to postscript and distill the file, and let the distiller
or printer driver use default fonts from the system. Not always pretty
but at least you can read what is supposed to be in there. If you want
to replace the fonts with something that is similar to what was there
originally then you can usually set the fonts to replace specific ones
that are missing in the Distiller prefs.

An alternative, if you have Illustrator handy, is to open the file and
replace missing fonts that way.

Umm, another way may be to save the file as a tiff from Preview and
print that.

Good luck

Alan