[texhax] Kubuntu Greek PS font?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 22:21:04 CET 2008

I am running Kubuntu gutsy amd64, which comes with texlive.

A long, long time ago I created a TeX document that contained a smattering
of Greek words. In those days, one would generate bitmapped characters from
MF sources: painful, but at least it worked OK for producing DVI output.

Fast forward to now... and I need to do something similar, but with the
output being PDF. For the main text of the document I am using the Latin
Modern fonts. As far as I can tell, the LM project does not include glyphs
for typesetting Greek language (maybe I'm worng, but I couldn't find any
reference to typesetting Greek with LM, and the very name "Latin" suggests
that it does not contain such glyphs). So what would people suggest I use
in order to be able to create a PDF with properly-scalable Greek characters?

(I expect that this is easy; but I still live in the world of TeX from 15
years ago, and I have a hard time figuring out which of the stuff I know is
now hopelessly outdated and which is still correct, with the result that I
probably find this all quite a bit harder than would a complete neophyte.)

  Doc