[texhax] BachoTeX 2008 -- Call for Papers

Jerzy B. Ludwichowski Jerzy.Ludwichowski at uni.torun.pl
Thu Jan 31 11:26:57 CET 2008

                 The XVIth Polish TeX Users Conference
                          BachoTeX 2008
                        "TeX contra TeX"

                       Call for Papers
                             and
                       Call for TeX Pearls

                 http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2008

                            Call for Papers

     This is the call for papers for BachoTeX 2008, the XVI Polish
TeX Users Group Conference April 30--May 4, 2008, Bachotek (Brodnica
Lake District), Poland.

     The conference title is

                 "TeX contra TeX"

     We now have several TeX engines, from frozen and even obsolete
through those being in use and actively maintained up to ones to be
yet released.  To mention some: Aleph, e-TeX, ExTeX, LuaTeX, Omega,
pdfTeX, XeTeX and -- of course -- TeX itself.  Add to this a number
of macro packages, again actively developed or frozen and
unmaintained: AMS-TeX, ConTeXt, LAMS-TeX, Lambda, LaTeX and of
course plain TeX, either or not suitable to be used with those
engines.  All were developed with different aims and under
different conditions and therefore have various strengths and
weaknesses.  Some are still being developed.

The knowledge about these developments is not widespread.  We want
to compare and contrast them for the benefit of all, thus the word
"contra" in the title should not be taken literally -- it is not
to be a fight but a confrontation with differences, merits and
faults carefully scrutinized.  The central day of the conference
will be devoted to this theme.  We especially invite authors,
developers and experts of these engines.  And what about companion
programs like METAFONT and METAPOST?  Is METAFONT still used?  What
is happening with METAPOST?  Come and let us know!

     There will be also two other key themes:

                 "What is TeX for me?"
and
                 "Aesthetic aspects of typesetting"

The former is intended to become a session or perhaps a
sub-conference dedicated to the youngest generation of TeXies.  It
was inspired by Sam Guravage, the youngest ever presenter at a
EuroTeX conference, who at EuroTeX 2007 gave the talk "Confessions
of a teenage TeX user" for which he was awarded a diploma.  Out
there are surely very young people who use TeX -- we would like to
hear from them!  We are also sure that they would like to talk to
each other about their experiences.

The second theme aims not only at TeXies but also those who use other,
broadly typesetting related software like Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator,
InDesign or Scribus, to name but some.

We encourage papers on:
- the borders of editing and typesetting,
- design of typographical layouts,
- aesthetic typesetting rules,
- microtypography,
- embedding graphics in the design,
- and, of course the aesthetic of using fonts.

     As always, there is space for other topics:

- enhancing graphics engines,
- new or improved macro packages,
- user interfaces,
- new font technologies.

Effectively, one can come and talk about everything, but it would be
nice if there is some focus on the mentioned aspects.

     Proposals for TeX and typography related tutorials or
introductions are especially welcome.  If you have suggestions for
tutorials or workshops by others than yourself or about specific
topics, please let us know.

     Proposals (abstracts) should be e-mailed to attention of the
Program Committee which listens at the address of  papers-2008 at
gust dot org dot pl. Boguslaw Jackowski is the
appointed chairman.

     The deadline for abstracts is 9th of March 2008.  The deadline
for the final papers will soon be published at the conference web
site: http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2008.

                            Call for TeX Pearls

We are continuing the tradition of "The Pearls of TeX Programming".
Here is briefly what is wanted:

    * short TeX, MF or MP macro/macros
    * results should be virtually useful yet not obvious
    * easy to explain: 10 minutes at most

If you yourself have something that fits the bill, please consider
sending it in.  If you know somebody's work that does the same, please
let us know, we will contact the person.  Other details and previously
collected pearls can be found at
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/pearls/.
The email address is: pearls at gust dot org dot pl.