[texhax] \subsubsection*{}

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 7 15:35:53 CET 2008

I redefined \subsubsection so as not to put the header on a separate line.
Inevitably some author decided to use \subsubsection*{} (for no
discernable reason;  why not use \par\kern5pt\noindent?)  This results in
an unwanted space, which you will see if you compose this:

\documentclass{article}
\makeatletter
\renewcommand\subsubsection{\@startsection{subsubsection}{3}{\z@}%
                                      {-3.25ex\@plus -1ex \@minus -.2ex}%
                                      {-1.5ex \@plus -.2ex}%
                                      {\normalfont\normalsize\bfseries}}
\makeatother
\begin{document}

\subsubsection*{}This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.
This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.  This
is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.

\subsubsection*{Test}This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.
This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.  This
is a test.  This is a test.  This is a test.

\end{document}

As I said it is easy to redefine it, but still I wonder if anyone has
fixed this.

Michael Barr