[texhax] [Latex-beamer-users] pack'n'go beamer files

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 02:25:11 CET 2008

Thanks to several who responded. A kpsewhich tip did help me fix my
original script to pick up figures which show up in the aux file as
relative paths.

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 10:01 +0100, Herbert Voss wrote:
> http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/help/Catalogue/entries/mkjobtexmf.html

But this suggestion was much more to the point - indeed an overkill for
what I wanted, and on its own didn't quite do the job so I built
something elaborate around it before I realised that everything I needed
was provided by tex's -recorder option. So I stripped out everything
else to leave the attached script that runs any flavour of (la)tex -
pdflatex by default - with -recorder, extracts from the .fls file list
file that it generates the input files, throws away all the files in the
base texmf installation hierarchy to leave .tex files, any
user-specific .sty, etc., files, graphics files, etc., together with tha
aux, toc, bbl, etc. I think this should work with \included and
\inputted constructs, because everything is processed and recorded. The
paths in the .fls file are full paths, which makes the final stage easy
to copy them into a target directory and tar them up.

This won't always result in a set of files that will (la)tex out of the
box if the user has put variosu components in some kind of directory
structure and has built the relative paths into their latex source
(e.g., a folder containing the latex sources for individual chapters of
a book) as it flattens such a structure. In the worst case, if the same
filenames are used in different chapters it will overwrite them. But for
such a project, I'd imagine the author would organise their work anyway
and could simply bundle up the whole hierarchy.

But for my purposes of bundling up a beamer presentation for someone
else, the attached seems to work well, and there is much room for
improvement should someone be interested. :-) In particular, someone out
there will probably have a more universal way of identifying paths that
point to the texmf installation directory. My solution (by navigating
around my texlive directories) was to locate texmf.cnf and use that
directory as living above all the installation files.

Cheers
Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs