[texhax] headline vertical boxing.

Ludwig Mises ludwigmises at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 00:21:29 CEST 2008

So I'm trying to create a custom headline.  Looks something like this:

\magnification=\magstep3
\font\bigfont=cmbx14
\font\littlefont=cmbx6

\def\header#1#2{
\headline={\vbox{\hbox to \hsize{{\bigfont #1} \hfill {\littlefont #2}}
  \vskip 2pt
  \hrule height 2pt}}
}

\header{gary indiana}{gary indiana}

gary indiana

\vfill\eject

\header{Gari Indiana}{Gari Indiana}

Gari Indiana

\bye

The problem is, that the hrule and the text above the hrule don't seem
to want to line the way I want them too do.  I would like the \hrule
to set at exactly the same location on each page, but clearly the
deeper letters are somehow causing some extra spacing to be added.
I've tried using \strut and various other tricks but just can't seem
to align them the way I want.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ludwig