[texhax] \boldmath and times fonts

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Apr 16 17:06:22 CEST 2008

W.J. Metzger :

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Lars Madsen wrote:
>
>> W.J. Metzger :
>>
>>> While I am normally quite happy with computer modern, I have a user who
>>> insists on using times.  She does this by
>>>
>>> \usepackage{times}
>>> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>>> \usepackage{mathrsfs}
>>>
>>> But \boldmath, as in the following does not produce a bold x
>>> \section{Rapidity and \boldmath{$x$} Dependence}
>>>
>>> Does someone know how to do this?
>>>

>> as far as I know one of the short commings of the times that comes with
>> LaTeX
>> is that it is mussing the bold math fonts.
>>
>> try using the bm package, and use
>>
>> $\bm{x}$
>>
>> maybe \boldmath even works now (I never user boldmath so I don't know).
>>
>> /daleif
>
> Thanks, Lars, for your suggestion.  I had in fact already tried bm and
> given up when it clashed with the hyperref package resulting in
> TeX capacity exceeded (see attached log) - the same occurs if I load
> hyperref before the other packages.
>
> If I remove hyperref it works OK.  So it looks like one has to choose
> between bm and hyperref.

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{bm}
\usepackage[colorlinks]{hyperref}
\DeclareBoldMathCommand{\balpha}{\alpha}
\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

% \section{Test $\bm{\alpha}$} % this dies with hyperref

\section{Test $\balpha$} % works with hyperref, but bookmarks complain

sdf

\end{document}

/daleif