[texhax] using \vinphantom

Michael Lommel michael.lommel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 04:50:31 CEST 2008

Greetings,
Two distinct questions:

(1)

with
\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{verse}

the command

\vinphantom doesn't seem available.

It works with

\documentclass{memoir}

Without using memoir, is there a way to get \vinphantom?

(2)

I would like to subtract the value of \vinphantom from a fixed value to
create an offset inline. I started out with:

\poemtitle{Amor vs Odio}
\settowidth{\versewidth}{¡Ódiame! mmmmmm ¡No lo odies!}
\begin{verse}[\versewidth]
¡Ódiame!\vinphantom{¡Ódiame!}\hspace{6em} ¡No lo odies!\\
Porque vengo\vinphantom{Porque vengo}\hspace{6em}¡Ámame!\\
del naciente\vinphantom{del naciente} \hspace{6em}¡Ámalo!\\
¡Ódialo!\vinphantom{¡Ódialo!}\hspace{6em}¡Amémonos!\\

Then realized I need to subtract the \vinphantom value from the fixed em
value so that the remainder of each line is lined up as if with a tab.

I know there is a tabbing environment, but would like to take this
opportunity to learn something more general about how to subtract variable
values...

ciao --
Michael