[texhax] seeking description of TeX *.exe for security review

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Tue May 15 17:23:36 CEST 2007

Hi Krewe:

My employer's Office of the Chief Information Security Officer (OCISO)
requires a little bit more information about software than
"I need it to do my job!"
before they will allow it to be installed.

Has anyone written up a brief description of the many *.exe
in any of the various distributions?

fyi: I just received my TeXLive 2007 DVD
and want to have it installed on my work computer.

example

pdfLaTeX.exe: input : text file
                      default extension: .tex
              output: Adobe v5 .pdf

When I fill out this form I intend to be thorough
so as not to leave lingering questions in their minds.
What are other file extensions that may cause concern?
*.dll?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

thanx

Ron Fehd  the {SAS} macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov