[texhax] section heading style conflicts with amsmath package

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Tue May 1 04:19:07 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Brian Papa wrote:

> I'm having a problem with the formatting of unnumbered section headings
> when I add use of the amsmath package.

Just comment out the spaces before the closing brace of your new
heading definitions as below:

\renewcommand{\subsubsection}{%
\renewcommand{\@seccntformat}[1]{({\csname the##1\endcsname})~~}%1
\@startsection
{subsubsection}%
{3}% 3 is the level for subsubsection
{5mm}% Indent subsubsections
{-\baselineskip}% skips 1 baseline after end of previous subsubsection
{0.5\baselineskip}% half baseline and the first paragraph starts
{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape}% NEW COMMENT
}

\renewcommand{\paragraph}{%
\renewcommand{\@seccntformat}[1]{({\csname the##1\endcsname})~~}%1
\@startsection
{paragraph}%
{4}% 4 is the level for subsubsubsection (paragraph)
{5mm}% indent paragraph/subsubsubsections the same as subsubsections
{-\baselineskip}% skips 1 baseline after end of previous subsubsection
{0.5\baselineskip}% half baseline and the first paragraph starts
{\normalfont\normalsize\itshape}% NEW COMMENT
}
\renewcommand{\theparagraph}{\roman{paragraph}}
\makeatother

Unpredictable indeed are the effects of spurious spaces!

--
Krishnan