[texhax] issues of running TeX from USB drive

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Thu Mar 1 22:36:33 CET 2007

I was in a discussion where someone mentioned
that they had a SAS depot on a 4GB USB drive
which they carried around to do user installations.

Q: Has anyone installed any distribution
-- in my case that would be TeXlive --
onto a USB drive?

For security reasons, I do all my tex work
on my privately-owned computer,
as my federal agency has prohibited use of
privately-purchased software like my text-editor, Ultra-Edit,
and free-ware, like TeX.

This seems a logical end-run around the bureaucracy,
but then they are promising to scan all USB drives
upon insertion.
Oh, and no personally-purchased USB drives allowed!
<sigh>

Ron Fehd  the {SAS} macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov

Ronald J. Fehd, IT Spec
team lead: Office of Statistical Software
           and Knowledge Worker Support
HelpDesk Level 3: SAS
CDC SAS site representative