[texhax] 'continue to next line' control sequence?

Bryan W. Lepore bryanlepore at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 30 18:58:21 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Alex Scorpan wrote:
>> does latex or tex have a 'continue to next line' control sequence?
>> something like \ in gnuplot?
> End the first piece with "%", then continue on the next line.  Often, you
> don't even need the %.  TeX is very flexible to new lines, a new line is
> often understood a space.

ah, i was thinking that table/tabular would complain if i did that - i
didn't realize how flexible it was - thanks!

>  RTFM.

one of my favorite latex sites :

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-2.html

says, in section :
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-68.html

"Note that \\  must be used to specify the end of each line of the table,
except the last. (It must be used after the last line if an \hline command
is used to put a line at the bottom of the table.)"

Lamport, 2nd. ed. has an example in section 3.6.2, p.63 where the \\ is
replaced with a carriage return, yet it is not mentioned in the text -
obviously an exercise for the reader -

... this must be manual citation you are referring to - if not, what
manual are you reading?  where in that manual does it refer to the
end-of-line in table/tabular environment?

my question was specifically about continuing to the next line in the
table/tabular environment - where is it specifically written that carriage
returns apply as usual in latex?

i love learning more about the resources on the internet for latex, a
major reason to choose latex.  can you please provide your citation?

regards,

-bryan