[texhax] embedding fonts in PDF

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jul 5 12:59:22 CEST 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Giuseppe Angilella wrote:

> I need to produce a good quality PDF out of a DVI for a conference
> book of
> abstracts, using Computer Modern forms and including several ps and
> eps
> pictures.
>
> My publisher needs to import my PDF into Corel Draw (to format it
> before
> printing).

Most likely the publisher is in the habit of doing this because
they're too cheap to purchase a real imposition system or PDF RIP.

> However, most fonts are not properly converted, and the final
> output is
> unacceptable.

No, the publisher hasn't properly loaded the used fonts so that
they're accessible to CorelDRAW.

> I think that the solution might be to embed all fonts in the PDF,
> but I
> was not able to do it properly (using dvipdfm, at least).

No, CorelDRAW isn't a .pdf editor, it's a drawing program which will
interpret a .pdf to its native format, then fall back on native/
systemic font support (i.e., those fonts which are made available by
the operating system and any installed font utilities _and_ using the
native font encoding).

> Any help will be appreciated.

Which fonts are you using?

You may be able to work with this by using the OpenType version of
Latin Modern and having the publisher install the freely
distributed .otf files.

Failing that, wash the files through GhostScript w/ settings to
convert all type to outlines. The publisher may have to fall back to
processing one or a range of pages --- I think there's a total number
of objects limitation in CorelDRAW you may run into.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer