[texhax] Label position in enumerated list

Simmie, John john.simmie at nuigalway.ie
Fri Feb 16 14:33:42 CET 2007

Kopka & Daly show (Guide to LaTeX 4th ed., Fig. 4.1) the various
parameters that control the layout of an enumerated list but
surprisingly not the actual value of the label indent.
I need that to be zero so that the left margin of the text and the
labels of an enumerated list are aligned, as eg
[1] ..
[2] ..

Is there an easy hack please?  I cannot use other packages, eg memoir or
whatever, for this purpose ...

Prof. John Simmie
Combustion Chemistry Centre & Environmental Change Institute
National University of Ireland, Galway