[texhax] Problem with \ss in BibTeX

Yuri Robbers yuri.robbers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:06:34 CET 2007

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with BibTeX and NatBib. I want to cite the PSTricks
book by Herbert Vo\ss. BibTeX is rather picky about special characters, such
as accented letters. They have to be included in a pair of braces, with the
\ of the special character immediately following the opening brace. There
cannot be any other braces surrounding these braces.

According to the manuals this is a correct example:

   author = "Kurt G{\"o}del",

It surprises me therefore that my entry

   author = "Herbert Vo{\ss}",

does not work!

Actually, it does work partially. In all my references in the text
(author-date references using the NatBib package) the \ss character is
typeset properly. However, in the bibliography at the end of my document it
does not work. There it typesets ss instead of \ss.

All special characters in book titles (including the title for this
particular reference!) print properly too. It's just the \ss and only in the
bibliography itself that fails to work.

Does anyone know how to solve this strange problem?

Thanks for your help,
Yuri.