[texhax] Q: how to embed fonts w/pdfLaTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Feb 13 23:04:22 CET 2007

  > I have written my SAS User Group Conference papers for the past
  > several years using pdfLaTeX.

  > My section chair reviewed my draft and pointedly reminded me:

  >> 8. When converting the Word file to PDF, please save the Word
  >> file with Fonts Embedded (see page24 of WritersGuidelines.pdf)

This is definitely a good idea.

  > Q: How to generate a .pdf with Embedded Fonts using pdfLaTeX?

AFAIK, modern TeX distributions embed all fonts by default.  You can
find out which fonts are not embedded using the Acrobat Reader: Select
File=>Document Properties=>Fonts in the menu.

On UNIX systems it is more convenient:  Run

   pdffonts somefile.pdf

and you'll get a list.

If some fonts are not embedded, it would be nice to know which TeX
distribution you are using.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25