[texhax] making LaTeX-environment from existing command

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at fzd.de
Thu Aug 16 13:32:12 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 12:42:53PM +0200, Morten Høgholm wrote:
>Look for amsmath's way of grabbing the contents of an environment:

Thanks, Morten. Do you think that this definition of my `storetoks'
environment based on \collect at body is correct?

-- 8< --
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\newtoks\mytoks

\makeatletter
\newenvironment{storetoks}{\collect at body\myfunc}{}
\def\myfunc#1{\global\mytoks={#1}}
\makeatother

\begin{document}

\begin{storetoks}%
  Hello!%
\end{storetoks}

``\the\mytoks''

\end{document}
-- >8 --

I tried to figure out what they are doing in the \collect at body definition
in amsmat.sty but, I didn't get the essence. Is there a short and easy
way to re-implement this macro in order to be independent of amsmath.sty?

Alexander