[texhax] Font help needed.

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 18 02:56:00 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 20:32, Karl Berry wrote:
>     The problem is with fonts where the tfm name is not the
>     same as the pfb name.
>
> This is, as you note, very common.  That is how we handle the TeX
> 256 chars per encoding limitation -- OT1, T1, texnansi, etc., each
> have to have their own tfm, even if they all map to a single pfb.
>
> Indeed, the Cyrillic font tfm's are generated by mktextfm.  There
> are scripts in the lh distribution to do it all in batch if you're
> so inclined.  Probably not very interesting for purposes of a font
> catalogue, in any case.  (It could be interesting if each font had
> the supported encodings listed, though.)
>
> karl

I am puzzled by one thing however. If the particular encoding has the
pfb file included in TeXLive, and there is a line in pdftex.map
referring to the tfm file, then why is the tfm itself not included?
Is it a space limitation?

The listing in pdftex.map seems to have no utility since the font
variant can't be used "out of the box".

I can manipulate my programs  to list the missing tfms if that is what
you are driving at.  I already wrote the programs to exclude these
bad boys from my font catalog. Generating a listing would be no big
deal.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com