[texhax] Installed TeX fonts WAS adding boldface to \tt

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 13 00:55:19 CEST 2007

    Available is one question, installed is another.

All the free fonts with TeX support are in TeX Live.

    It doesn't help that apparently plain TeX uses one set of mappings and
    pdftex another.

Yes, pdftex and dvipdfmx and dvips each have their own map file format,
although they are 95% the same.  There is no good reason for them not to
be consolidated, but I doubt it will happen in the foreseeable future.
updmap maintains them all in sync.

    But perhaps the map files could be catenated, sorted and dupes
    eliminated. A subset map file that dealt only with the fonts
    actually included in TeXLive would be a great help.

I don't understand.  If you install TL, the resulting psfonts.map file
and related will include only the fonts in TL (according to whichever
packages you install), of course.  There are no duplicate entries.

    I look for fonts that can be used in books in English. If anyone has
    run all those down that would be a start.

That's exactly what my tug.org/fonts tries to list.
Additional free fonts, not necessarily with TeX support,
are listed at http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/.  (Another excellent
page by Stephen Hartke.)