[texhax] Equation tags in gathered, aligned, alignedat?

Ignacy Gawedzki texhax at qult.net
Fri Sep 8 11:30:41 CEST 2006

Hi all,

It's been a few times when I needed to be able to put equation numbers on
individual lines of a gathered, aligned or alignedat environment.  It could be
very useful to be able to reference equations inside a nested environment like
that.  Here's an example

\begin{align*}
  &\text{Maximize} ... \\
  &\text{s.t.}\\
  &\left\{
  \begin{aligned}
    ...&...\label{eq:one}\\
    ...&...\label{eq:two}
  \end{aligned}
  \right.
\end{align*}

Of course this doesn't work since tags are not shown for nested alignement
environments.  This is linked to the fact that gather/align/alignat
environments take up all the line width, whereas gathered/aligned/alignedat do
not (to be able to put anything around them).

So the question is pretty simple: does anyone know of any already existing
package to achieve that?  I've dug a bit on ctan with no success but want to
be sure before I go on to write that package myself. =)

--
A person is shit's way of making more shit.
		-- S. Barnett, anthropologist.