[texhax] how to create a non-breaking hyphen

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Mon May 15 00:01:04 CEST 2006

    On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 05:04:11PM -0400, Barbara Beeton wrote:

    > to suppress a single hyphen, it's probably easiest
    > to pop the word into an mbox:
    >   \mbox{hyphen-word}
    > 							-- bb

    Thanks. I just discovered the mbox in my LaTeX book. However, that
    presents another problem. I am not writing the LaTeX directly.
    Instead, I am converting XML into LaTeX. I guess there is no way to
    stop a hypen *after* the hyphen itself?

since you're converting xml, the no-break hyphen
is identifiable as something different from a
regular hyphen, i believe.

try this in the preamble:

  \newcommand\nobrkhyph{\mbox{-}}

and then convert the appropriate hyphen(s) to
"\nobrkhyph " or "\nobrkhyph{}".

(uwe's suggestion is actually much cleaner than
mine was.)
							-- bb