[texhax] Word vs. LaTeX questions (was latex in social sciences?)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun May 7 01:34:40 CEST 2006

    2.  Another thing that can be done in Word is track changes.

If the svn/cvs idea doesn't appeal, there is a changebar LaTeX
package.  For references and still other approaches, see:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=changebars

I don't think anything will exactly match the Word functionality, though
(not that I know what Word does, exactly, but I can imagine).  The
underlying issue is that changebars are really tied into the editor and
editing process, and one of TeX's whole strengths is that it is
independent of any particular editor and any particular process.  Hence ...

Personally, I find changebars a painful distraction when reading.  I
prefer two sources I can diff.

BTW, regarding the paragraph refilling problem that another respondent
mentioned -- there is a tool wdiff which does a word-by-word difference
instead of line-by-line.  I use it all the time.
http://wdiff.progiciels-bpi.ca/

Best,
Karl