[texhax] LaTeX to InDesign

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Mar 21 16:16:39 CET 2006

Dave:

> I already have considerable experience with various paths
> from LaTeX to Word (mixes of computer translation, e.g.,
> TTH, and manual editing).  A publisher has again asked
> me to provide a Word file, but his ultimate goal is input
> into InDesign.  Maybe they can copy from pages of a LaTeX
> generated PDF and paste into InDesign, especially if I
> turn off hyphenation in LaTeX so they don't have to deal
> with word breaks at the wrong place in InDesign's line
> folding.  My question for this list is does anyone have
> any special insight about more or less productive paths
> from LaTeX to InDesign.  (PS, I'm not interested in trying
> to educate the publisher about accepting LaTeX input.)

Converting with TTH and editing the html would be a lot of work!

Why not use latex2rtf?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/latex2rtf/
http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/docu_1_9_14.html

Then you just give them the RTF instead of a word file.  RTF, at
least, is an ascii format - not binary like word.  Scott Prahl has
been extremely helpful in upgrading it to cover new things (like
color).

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)