[texhax] Crosscompilation of TeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Mar 10 17:42:12 CET 2006

Re-sending this 'cause I didn't send a copy to texhax....

On Mar 10, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Torsten Wagner wrote:

> I am wondering whether it is possible to compile TeX and LaTeX for
> a different platform. In particular I like to port TeX & Co. to a
> Linux-based PDA (Zaurus). The clamshell versions of these PDAs
> includes a full keyboard and would be perfect for TeX-on-the-road.
> The PDAs are based on ARM processors.
>
> However, I don't know whether this is possible or not. Maybe
> someone did it already ?!
> As far as I know, TeX and LaTeX are not very ambitious. Since there
> where running already before most people get aware of what is a PC,
> I assume the hardware requirements are very low.

There's been some discussion of this in the past, and I believe
someone did manage a port / compile.... Ah, here we are:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/
e2adaffbad0e312d/3b93caf37025b8da?lnk=st&q=compile+tex
+zaurus&rnum=1&hl=en#3b93caf37025b8da

and here's a link:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ0103/z-tex/

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.