[texhax] Blogs

amateur ztl.post at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:15:47 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:59:48AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> On 7/18/06, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I am really forced to ask "why on earth would anyone want to ?"
> >
> > Not only do "blogs" have the silliest name imaginable
> > (is "Web log" /really/ too long to use ?), but they are surely
> > the most pointless form of self-aggrandisement ever invented,
> > serving only to enhance (in his/her own mind) the image
> > of the so-called "blogger" whilst leaving the rest of
> > the world not one iota better off.  Please, Dr Flom, leave
> > "blogging" to the great unwashed, and write /real/ books
> > or /real/ articles that actually serve to enhance the
> > world in which we live ...
>
> This cited email demonstrates at least one advantage of blogging: if
> Mr.Taylor had a blog, he could put his flame there instead of
> submitting it to the mailing list :-)
>
> While I agree that many of blogs (and their cousins bulletin boards)
> became places of incredibly stupid and nasty flame wars, at least some
> of them are really helpful. Personally I would prefer the current
> mailing list to be replaced by a bulletin board (which could be much
> better structured).

If the bulletin board can be subscribed, of course. I think mailing
list is an efficient way to discuss some non-critical topics. For you
don't have to use the web interface and bear the slow network speed.
What you need is only a powerful email Pop3 client. This way, the
action of fetching mail and the action of reading mail is
asynchronous. And asynchronous is better than synchronous.