[texhax] LaTex toc format

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Jan 30 00:03:02 CET 2006

At 02:24 29.01.06, Keith Jones wrote:

>I am writing my dissertation and one requirements for TTU is the chapter
>numbers
>be puncuated with a period and that all chapter titles are in all caps.  I
>know
>I can edit the .toc file, but, I would like to make a newcommand that does all
>this automaticly.  How would I do that?  "The LaTex Companion" and all the
>info
>on the web has not helped me out that much, unless I missed something.

First I wonder: why do think of editing the .toc file for getting
a certain appearance of chapter titles and numbers?
What about their appearances at the beginning of the very
chapters or, perhaps, moreover in the page headings?
Moreover, chapter numbers may additionally appear in
cross-references, what about them?

In general, have you looked at
     CTAN/latex/macros/ncclatex
         [see manifest.txt there for an overview]
     ...ncctools
     ...memoir
? These classes/packages offer many flexible variations of
the style of the LaTeX standard classes. (I expect that many
other authors have provided packages of this kind,
I don't know whether the LaTeX Companion enumerates
them completely.)

And by the way, LaTeX's \addtocontents may be more
useful then editing the .toc file ... in general -- I don't
think it's useful to explain more on this at this point.

And if you really only want to modify the appearance
in the TOC, you rather should modify the \l at chapter
command that your .cls defines, not the .toc file.

If I knew what you really (exactly) need, I could send
you some (La)TeX code doing it -- I know latex.ltx
and the LaTeX standard classes much better than
CTAN/macros/latex/contrib ...

Best,
   Uwe Lueck.