[texhax] Footnotes: Numbering

David C. Walden dave at walden-family.com
Fri Dec 22 20:14:00 CET 2006

>\newcommand{\FN}{1]{\unskip\footnote{\hspace{2pt}#1}}

Has something like
   \let\OldFN=\footnote
   \renewcommand{\footnote}[1]{\unskip\OldFN{\hspace{2pt}#1}}
been suggested already, where one may not have to change anything
in the rest of the document; plus, when I decide later I like the
out-of-the-box look of \footnote better after all, I can undo my
change by commenting out one line.  [If that doesn't work as written,
I assume I can debug it quickly.  I routinely reinvent little wheels
(or flat tires) because it seems faster than looking up, possibly
having to download, and figuring out a new package.  Or is there
some fatal or "good LaTeX practice" flaw with this approach?]