[texhax] TeX for the blind

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 14:13:40 CET 2006

Martin wrote --

> 2006/12/11, Chris Rowley <C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk>:
> > Actually, no one was asking anything of you in particular until you
> > gave us all the impression that you know everything and that all these
> > problems have been solved by `tagged pdf' ... they have not!
>
> OK, tagged pdf will not solve everything, but it's currently the only
> "working" technology (and you asked for the screen reader and tagged
> pdf). Math is sorely lacking there, and is also not really missed by
> e.g. the PDF/UA group.

> But also lacking is any participation by the TeX community, e.g. AMS.

It is not much to do with the `TeX community' as you know it.  How do
you know that the AMS is not interested?

> AFAIK markup of math is hard;

What is `markup of math' here?  If you mean `a language for
expressing mathematics in software systems' then it is surely not hard for
practising mathematicians since they have invented many.

A major problem right now is that most of those guys think that having
a picture of the maths in the electronic system is the same as having
some text in an lectronic system...maybe they are right??

> do we really want to go the MathML way?

Again, much more precision is needed here.  Especially on the
`we': what `community' is that?

Keep it up, this is all very useful.

chris