[texhax] Latex Questions

Martin Heller mr_heller at yahoo.dk
Tue Aug 29 09:35:42 CEST 2006

Matthew Dzieciuch skrev:

> I am trying to finish my Dissertation and get some problems from Latex.
> 1) I have appendix with pictures which include the math mode like:
>
> \begin{figure}[h!]
>          \centerline{ \epsfig{figure=fuselflapgamsig.eps,
>          height =  4 in}}
>          \caption{solid -- fuselage-flap, dotted -- elliptic
>          distribution.  Top -- circulation distribution
>          $\Gamma(x)$.  Bottom -- vortex sheet strength distribution
>          $ \sigma = \partial \Gamma / \partial s$. }
>     \label{fuselflapgamsig}
> \end{figure}
>
> then Latex gives me following error message
>
> LaTeX Error: \mathrm allowed only in math mode
>
> If I remove math mode, then it works, but it is really not
> convenient.  Why
> shouldn't appendix allow math mode in figures?

I can't reproduce that error. You could try to prepare a minimum
example
<http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl>. My
guess is that you have a set of mismatched $-signs somewhere or
you are using $-signs inside an equation-like environment?

> 2) My bibliography list starts with empty [1] reference and then with
> [2]
> it starts my references.  I am not quite sure why it happens...

A guess: You have \nocite{*} somewhere in your document and an
empty entry like @book{} in your .bib file?

> 3) Is there some way to make it put all the figures of one section
> before
> another one starts?  I have quite a few figures in certain sections and
> they run all the way into next section.  Which is a mess.

\usepackage[section]{placeins}