[texhax] TeX v. Word, etc.

Yuri Robbers yuri.robbers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 12:18:52 CEST 2006

Hello Jürgen,

On 8/25/06, Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Yuri,
>
> your reply was not addressed to the list, so I also answer to you
> directly. You may resend your mail and my comments to the list if you
> like.

AH, that was a mistake... I just clicked "reply"...

"Yuri Robbers" <yuri.robbers at gmail.com > writes:

> > I have tried oolatex (with tetex under Gentoo linux - it compiled
> > immediately, without a single error) extensively, and it's virtually
> > useless. It converts to the old .sxw format rather than the more modern
> .odt
> > format, which need not be a problem.
>
> According to documentation current tex4ht converts to odt, while sxw
> remains an option.

Then perhaps I do not have the latest  version. I'll check.

> What is a problem, however, is that it can deal with only the most
> > basic LaTeX documents. As soon as something slightly more
> > complicated than an itemized list is used, the resulting .sxw file
> > will be corrupt and crash OOo as soon as one tries to open
> > it.
>
> This is a real pity because when converting from latex to html tex4ht
> does a very good job.

I know! Actually I get far better results by converting latex to html with
tex4ht, then loading the html in OOo, and converting it to .odt (or .sxw)
than by using oolatex to directly create an OOo document. Again: since my
program seems to be a bit outdated this may be better now.

> And anything more complicated than that just crashes OOo while the
> document
> > opens. Actually, even some simple things crash OOo after oolatex is
> done:
> > \pagebreak for example:
> >
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \begin{document}
> > Hello, world!
> >
> > \pagebreak
> >
> > Hello, world!
> > \end{document}
> >
> > I considered renaming it \OOobreak after this...
>
> :-(
>
> In my version of oolatex there was something wrong with the XML
> oolatex produced. Seems to be not so simple.

Yes: I had the same. Anything but the most simple LaTeX documents generated
XML errors in OOo, and most of those XML errors were fatal and crashed the
entire OOo. With the most simple LaTeX documents I mean those that can be
converted to ascii without much loss of information.

> It could be such a valuable tool, as could the reverse (oo2latex
> > perhaps?),
>
> The reverse converter is called writer2latex which is not perfect
> either (as no converter by principle ever will be), but I think it is
> quite helpful for converting sxw documents to LaTeX. However, I hardly
> need math so I have not tested it for formulae etc.
>
>   http://www.hj-gym.dk/~hj/writer2latex/<http://www.hj-gym.dk/%7Ehj/writer2latex/>

I'll check it out...

Best regards,
Yuri.