[texhax] Is the package textpos broken?

Yuri Robbers yuri.robbers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 01:37:19 CEST 2006

Hi Chris,

On 8/25/06, Chris Bergstresser <chris at subtlety.com> wrote:

> On 8/24/06, Yuri Robbers <yuri.robbers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps an easier solution to the problem you stated is starting each
> box
> > with a \strut. The following short example demonstrates the effect quite
> > clearly:
>
>    Yeah, I ended up putting a rule at the beginning of the box, which
> hangs below the baseline by 5pt.  Assuming no font has a descender
> bigger than that, I can simply specify the lower corner coordinates
> 5pts lower than otherwise, and it lines up just fine.  And doesn't
> vary with the font size, which requires my dynamically adjusting the
> positioning of the box, which is what the textpos packages claims to
> do, but doesn't.

Yes... odd... well, at least your application is working now...

   Different issue now, and it's a little strange.  I have a bunch of
> code I'd like to pull out into a different file.  I cut and paste the
> code into "myfile.inc", and put \input{myfile.inc} in my package, and
> I get hundreds of errors.  Replace the \input line with the original
> code, and it works fine.
>    According to the documentation, the \input command "causes the
> indicated file to be read and processed, exactly as if its contents
> had been inserted in the current file at that point".  Which is
> clearly not going on.  What gives?

That is very strange...  I don't think I've ever had that happen even though
I use \input{} regularly. First thing that comes to mind is perhaps a bit
silly, but what is the encoding of yoru various files? If your main .tex or
.ltx file is - say - ISO-8859-1 encoded, and your myfile.inc is - say UTF-8
encoded, weird things migth start happening...

Yuri.