[texhax] TeX v. Word, etc.

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:13:20 CEST 2006

On 8/21/06, Michael Barr <mbarr at math.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> I have never actually used Word, but I remember my wife giving up trying
> to read a Word 4.2 file in Word 5.1 (I think it was).  At that point, they
> maintained some compatibility with the previous version but if your file
> was from two versions early, it was useless.  This was before rtf, I think
> (anyway, I didn't know about it) and she wasn't interested, because her
> customers weren't (she is a free-lance translator) in word to TeX or
> anything like that.  Eventually, she found someone who still had Word 5.0
> and could read the 4.2 file and send it back to her and she was able to
> read that.  The formatting was not perfect but the text was there.
>
> I fully expect that my papers will still be usable 50 years from now, long
> after I have passed my use-by date.

Recently I was forced to deal with two MSW files containing math high
school problems... I must confess that MSW is an easy, intuitive,
great product... in comparison with built-in equations and graphics
editors. so, what actually are we discussing: pure MSW (which is
simply very bad, IMHO) or MSW with all the extensions (which is much
worse)