[texhax] Hebrew TeX

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Aug 3 16:51:25 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 14:36, Joshua Grauman wrote:
> I'm new to TeX and have a few questions about getting Hebrew to work.
>
> I've been doing research/testing and these are the things I need to work.
> I'd appreciate help to find out what is the easiest way to get a TeX system
> that supports all of these.
>
> 1) Hebrew support (right to left, correct pagination, etc.)
> 2) Unicode/UTF-8
> 3) True Type Fonts (I would like to use SIL's Ezra unicode Hebrew font)
> 4) Memoir class (I need paragraph footnotes)
>
> I currently have teTeX 3.0 which came with my Slackware 10.2 distribution.
> However, I don't believe babel in it has Hebrew support, and I can't seem
> to get Hebrew support added...
>
> I'm considering trying the TeX Live DVD. I've been researching a lot and
> have been barking up a lot of wrong trees. Could anyone give me some
> pointers about what would be the easiest way to do this.
>
> What classes? or packages? I need and how to install them if needed and how
> to include them in the .tex file would also be great. Thank you so much.
>
> Josh
>
> P.S. Sorry if this is a dup, I wasn't subscribed to the list, so I don't
> think it went through.

As the old farmer said, "If I was going to Middleton, I wouldn't
start from here." Consider Context, as has been
already suggested. LaTeX gets unbearably complex when you attempt
to go out of the preassigned paths. But you know that already.

I find 28 posts on the Context list containing the word "Hebrew."
and I haven't checked the wiki yet. I am sure you can get
meaningful help on that list.

Subscribe via

John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting