[texhax] Hebrew TeX

Joshua Grauman jnfo at grauman.com
Wed Aug 2 08:04:02 CEST 2006

I'm new to TeX and have a few questions about getting Hebrew to work.

I've been doing research/testing and these are the things I need to work.
I'd appreciate help to find out what is the easiest way to get a TeX
system that supports all of these.

1) Hebrew support (right to left, correct pagination, etc.)
2) Unicode/UTF-8
3) True Type Fonts (I would like to use SIL's Ezra unicode Hebrew font)
4) Memoir class (I need paragraph footnotes)

I currently have teTeX 3.0 which came with my Slackware 10.2 distribution.
However, I don't believe babel in it has Hebrew support, and I can't seem
to get Hebrew support added...

I'm considering trying the TeX Live DVD. I've been researching a lot and
have been barking up a lot of wrong trees. Could anyone give me some
pointers about what would be the easiest way to do this.

What classes? or packages? I need and how to install them if needed and
how to include them in the .tex file would also be great. Thank you so
much.

Josh