[texhax] latex help?

anne Vanhoest rmapann at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 18:08:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

Apology if you're not the right person to send a latex question to.  I
found this address on the tex.co.uk FAQ site.
If on the other hand, someone is willing to look at my struggle, here
it goes:

I type short-ish equation in my text (like ...blablabla V = Z I
blablabla...) In order to avoid a break in the equation, I tried
putting it in a mbox. It works but then it just writes it at the end
of the line, making a too long line, instead of cutting the whole
equation to the next line.  And using a linebreak would be
annoying because everytime I change the text I will have to change the
position of the linebreaks.  I did try \linebreak[number] with a low
number, but it won't work unless I use number=4 and then it breaks
anywhere, even when the equation is in the middle of the line.

So what I need is a way of telling latex to write the mbox on a new
line if the previous line cannot contain it properly.

Couldn't find an answer in the FAQ, can you help?

Thanks for the time you'll put in answering this question.

Regards

anne

anne Vanhoest
Implanted Devices Group

Medical Physics and Bioengineering Department
Malet Place Engineering Building
UCL

Gower Street
WC1E 6BT London