[texhax] Manipulating fonts?

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Sep 6 22:01:30 CEST 2005

At 17:31 04.09.05, Douglas Lewan wrote:
>I could swear that I've seen information about manipulating fonts in many
>ways:  stretching height, width, shearing, shading, etc.
>
>The LaTeX Companion (2nd edition) hints at some of those things in section
>7.2.3, but doesn't tell me how to do them.  \magnify isn't available under
>LaTeX (and I assume shouldn't be).
>
>What's the right way to proceed?  Thanks.

I only have the 1st edition of the Companion. There, sec. 7.2.3
just explains in which respects fonts may differ. The depicted
examples have been obtained by "manipulating" fonts, but by
using different fonts. E.g., it is not about "shading a font",
only about a font with characters that look "shaded".

One might at best consider appropriate speaking of "manipulating"
at the MetaFont level, in the sense that character data of a font
family (Computer Modern, e.g.) turn into different shapes,
depending on certain parameters, the slant, e.g. Or there might
be a family with a parameter called `shaded'.

Best,
Uwe.