[texhax] Bilbliography problem

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Nov 10 21:03:47 CET 2005

>At 12:45 09.11.05, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
>>Hmm, twenty minutes and a satisfacory answer?  A pity that I somehow suspect
>>that this is NOT a veiled criticism of Uwe's UN-helpful postings after 3 and
>>4 days!

Sorry, at present I see no duty to check texhax regularly.
If I do it twice a day, I consider it loosing control over
myself. (Dominik Wujastyk's mails have the nice trailer
`E-mails processed every Monday and Thursday.')
And as far as I have understood, nobody has claimed
that I once came to help when Robin only rebuked.
Not all postings have clearly distinguished the recent
experience from a general discussion of Robin's
postings. I just happened to serve has an example
of an "opposite" to Robin's style (one may apply
this to the respect of competence as well, the other
direction).
-- I admit that my first reaction when I thought Robin had
overlooked something, I only partially aimed at helping Zak.
I did go on only later, when my impression was that my
hint didn't stimulate real gurus -- who are well acquainted
with (the relevant content of) latex.ltx, like Morten (seems
to be -- I once studied the part on lists very hard, but didn't
remember \@listctr now).
-- On `twenty minutes': I expect that one answers when
one knows an answer immediately, only having to look up
some links or page numbers -- so that the posters save
time in the sum ... If I need longer, it is only because I
realize that my first idea was wrong.
-- This was just at the occasion ...

Mainly, my earlier
>When I guess that Zak has failed to use \begin{thebibliography}
>(or at least \usecounter, if he has hacked something),
>isn't it clear what remedy I propose?
was incomplete:

I guessed that Zak removed or hacked ("edited") \thebibliography
just in order to replace "References" by, say, "Bibliography".
I should have written that \renewcommand{\refname}{...}
is a safer alternative. (However, again someone else will better
know how broad the range of classes using \refname is.)

Peace!
   Uwe.