[texhax] Complicated font proceedure

Chris Bourke cbourke at cse.unl.edu
Thu Mar 17 20:21:03 CET 2005

When using \hbox{\small \mathbf{N}}, I get the desired effect, the \small
is one point less than the *document* font (article defaults to 10pt,
right? while a [12pt] option would make \small 11pt?).

The problem, however, is that it doesn't work in say, footnotes or
sub/super scripts.  if I use $a^{\hbox{\small \mathbf{N}}}$ I get the
*exact* same result as if I had not used it as a superscript.

What I'd like instead is a command that will typeset a letter exactly one
point less than the *current font* size being used so that when I use this
command, whether it be in a footnote or superscript, it will look good.
Is there a clever way of doing this?

Chris Bourke
cbourke at cse.unl.edu
http://www.cse.unl.edu/~cbourke