[texhax] Shorthand for gather*

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Mar 17 17:40:59 CET 2005

Johan Glimming :

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way of creating a nice shorthand for
>
> \begin{gather*}
> \end{gather*}
>
> such as
>
> \blab
> \elab
>
> ?
>
> I have done this with \ba and \ea for array, but for some reason gather* gave
> me an error message here.
>
> Med vänliga hälsningar / Yours Sincerely,
> Johan Glimming

AFAIK no. Due to the implementation used inside amsmath these need to be
used in full (might be that it's looking for \end{gather*}), or at least I
think that's how it is for align

You should use a better editor instead, one that can insert the \begin/end
pair directly without too much typing.

It's also easier to read the source code when e.g. a formula is written

\begin{gather*}
xxxx
\end{gather*}

instead of

\blab
xxxx
\elab

I assume you have had these shorthands for \begin/end{eqnarray} ??? which
is quite often seen.

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln