[texhax] Multicols is not enough

Johan Glimming glimming at kth.se
Wed Mar 2 15:55:40 CET 2005

> So that one needs to flow between the columns?

No, I use a special macro \inference[]{}{}{} that creates
the rule. I really just want to but the rules nicely together,
and preferably automatically.

> If so is it consistent that you'll need the wider area on the
> right-hand side of the page or could it switch?

It depends on the actual rules. If there are more than one row, the
actual alignment could change for each line containing a set of rules

      short     very very long
      -----     --------------
      short     very very long

      very very long    short
      --------------    -----
      very very long    short

But ideally I would completely like to abstract from the presentations
of my rules and merely give a set of rules, and have LaTeX pile them up
in whatever way it finds will be most compact and nice, adjusting all
margins etc depending on the actual rules.

For example the above could be a result of giving it

short   short
-----   -----
short   short

very very long
very very long

very very long
very very long

which clearly is not as good as the first way of presenting these rules
on paper.

Johan Glimming.