[texhax] sort bibtex entries from same author by year ignoring co-authors

Steenbakkers, R.J.A. R.J.A.Steenbakkers at student.tue.nl
Tue Jun 14 11:55:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm sure this problem is not too difficult for someone with more than my marginal LaTeX experience. I am using bibtex with the standard style abbrv.bst, which sorts the entries alphabetically by author name. If there's a publication by two authors called 'A' and 'B' as well as a publication by authors 'A' and 'C', bibtex automatically puts the entry (A,B) before the entry (A,C). But I would like it to always sort entries of the same first author (here A) chronologically.

Is there a bibtex style, similar to abbrv.bst, that does this? Or a package I could use? Or could anyone tell me how to modify the style file to change the sorting rule?

Greetings,

Rudi