[texhax] Telephone Directory

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Jul 13 22:30:39 CEST 2005

At 15:50 11.07.05, msellan at bellsouth.net wrote:

>Do you know where I can get a program for paginating a telephone directory?

... and UL answered:
 > I guess the main task is to get first and last names of a page
 > into the column title. Donald Arseneau's fwlw.sty ...

... oh my, sorry ... a telephone book usually is typeset in at
least two columns. So it depends on how you typeset more
than one column, basic LaTeX `twocolumns' or multicol.sty or ...
so William's answer

 > Normally these are custom-programmed.

was very efficient ...

In general, LaTeX's `myheadings' page style could be used,
but it must be able to read the "last new name" from the final
column of the previous page and the "last new name" from
the final column of the "present" page.

Lucky TeXing,
Uwe.

Best,