[texhax] Floatflt question

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Jul 9 03:12:53 CEST 2005

A followup:

On Jul 8, 2005, at 09:30 , Justin C. Walker wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2005, at 15:53 , Karl Berry wrote:
>>     I tried floatflt, to experiment with flowing text around tables.
>>
>> By chance, I recently ran across wrapfig.sty, which claims to do
>> basically the same thing.  I know the faq says that floatflt is an
>> "improved" version of wrapfig, but it might be worth a shot anyway.
>>
>> Your result sure sounds like a bug to me, not a limitation, but I
>> don't
>> have any personal experience with either one :(.
[snip]
> A little more testing shows me that the problem appears to be bad
> interactions with the \newtheorem command, or its results.  I have
> the table+text enclosed in an "example" environment created with
> newtheorem (using amsthm).  The snippet gives me proper results
> without the 'example' environment; and the overly exuberant
> indenting, if I enclose it in the environment.

The author is still looking, but further fiddling on my part has
either eliminated the 'example' environment as a cause, or just fully
confused me.

Current experiments point to a difference between pdflatex and latex
(I'm using TeXShop on Mac OS X, which is using pdflatex for latex
typesetting).

If I invoke 'latex' by hand, on a minimal test case, I get good
output.  If I invoke 'pdflatex' by hand, I get bad output (good: text
flows around table; bad: text is "normal", table is at end of doc).

I will take this up on the Mac OS X list.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Justin

--