[texhax] unicode

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at fz-rossendorf.de
Wed Aug 3 09:39:24 CEST 2005

Thank you William and Pierre for your answers,

I will give the ucs-package a try. My computer has not been generally unicode
enabled. Therefore, original strings are ordinary (8 bit?)-ASCII.

I found an example PDF-file which suits my needs. At one position therein
the string appears as

  /T (somestring)

and at another as

  [(^@s^@o^@m^@e^@s^@t^@r^@i^@n^@g) 10 0 R ...]

if I open the file in the Vim editor.

The first occurence is obviously plain ASCII and the second one Unicode
(the PDF-specification 1.6 is saying this).

If, for example, I define a string
as

  \def\mystring{^@C^@a^@r^@l}

TeX complains:

! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.8 \def\mystring{^^@

Maybe the ucs-package helps to properly escape the nonprintable
characters.  Nevertheless, I must get them somehow into the PDF
eventually.

Thanks again,

Alexander